Home > Initiatives > Policy & Legal Initiatives
The success of cell therapies requires a supportive legal and regulatory environment. GPI provides legal support to cases that affect stem cell research. GPI continues to advance the field by shaping favorable public policy, creating regulatory harmonization and providing advice and guidance to stakeholders.
- GPI submitted amicus curiae ("friend of the court") briefs in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia and the Court of Appeals, supporting federal funding for embryonic stem cell research in Sherley v. Sebelius, a case challenging President Obama's Executive Order and National Institutes of Health (NIH) guidelines. (Read pdf: GPI brief, GPI and CAMR brief)
- GPI led a two-year (2004-2005) public awareness and lobbying campaign, which galvanized a global movement, successfully lobbying the United Nations to reject a treaty that called for a prohibition of nuclear transfer (therapeutic cloning), saving the research by a single vote in the UN's Legal Committee. The campaign sent 35,000 fax letters to UN missions; organized a science conference and a patients' press conference at the UN; produced a taped appeal to the General Assembly by Christopher Reeve; led a global media campaign; and lobbied UN diplomats.
- GPI filed comments to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) regarding the Draft Guidelines for Human Stem Cell Research. (pdf letters: 2009, 2010)
- GPI disseminates press releases, provides media interviews and appearances, publishes Op-Ed pieces and supplies commentaries on issues and news impacting the field.
- GPI maintains affiliation with 19 coalitions, alliances and collaborations covering the gamut of stakeholder groups, including board membership in the Coalition for Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR), Americans for Cures Foundation, and Alliance for Regenerative Medicine (ARM). In addition, GPI has relationships with dozens of academic centers around the world.
- World Stem Cell Summit San Antonio #WSCS14 Registration Opens, New Partnering Opportunities Announced
May 28, 2014
- Organizers of 2014 World Stem Cell Summit #WSCS14 Announced
May 1, 2014
- Nurturing a Pioneering Community
Feb 26, 2014
Bernard Siegel's TedX talk "Stem Cells and the Transformative Power of Hope"
Bernard Siegel, a leader of the global stem cell advocacy movement and founder of the World Stem Cell Summit, describes how grassroots activists have contributed to the advancement of stem cell research, one of the greatest scientific breakthroughs of our time.
World Stem Cell Summit 2013
The 2013 World Stem Cell Summit took place in San Diego, California on December 4-6, 2013 at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. The Summit featured a record 200 expert speakers leading 67 sessions and panels and 37 "Conversation with Experts" roundtable discussions. Twelve hundred WSCS13 attendees represented more than 40 countries.
- International Society for Stem Cell Research
Vancouver, British Columbia
- BIO International Convention
San Diego, California
- The Business of Regenerative Medicine: New Therapies, New Models
St. Andrew's Club & Conference Centre
- Help 4 Huntington's Disease Symposium
Santa Maria Inn
SSanta Maria, California