Policy & Legal Initiatives
Home > Initiatives > Policy & Legal Initiatives
The success of cell therapies requires a supportive legal and regulatory environment. GPI provides legal support to cases that affect stem cell research. GPI continues to advance the field by shaping favorable public policy, creating regulatory harmonization and providing advice and guidance to stakeholders.
- GPI submitted amicus curiae ("friend of the court") briefs in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia and the Court of Appeals, supporting federal funding for embryonic stem cell research in Sherley v. Sebelius, a case challenging President Obama's Executive Order and National Institutes of Health (NIH) guidelines. (Read pdf: GPI brief, GPI and CAMR brief)
- GPI led a two-year (2004-2005) public awareness and lobbying campaign, which galvanized a global movement, successfully lobbying the United Nations to reject a treaty that called for a prohibition of nuclear transfer (therapeutic cloning), saving the research by a single vote in the UN's Legal Committee. The campaign sent 35,000 fax letters to UN missions; organized a science conference and a patients' press conference at the UN; produced a taped appeal to the General Assembly by Christopher Reeve; led a global media campaign; and lobbied UN diplomats.
- GPI filed comments to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) regarding the Draft Guidelines for Human Stem Cell Research. (pdf letters: 2009, 2010)
- GPI disseminates press releases, provides media interviews and appearances, publishes Op-Ed pieces and supplies commentaries on issues and news impacting the field.
- GPI maintains affiliation with 19 coalitions, alliances and collaborations covering the gamut of stakeholder groups, including board membership in the Coalition for Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR), Americans for Cures Foundation, and Alliance for Regenerative Medicine (ARM). In addition, GPI has relationships with dozens of academic centers around the world.
News & Updates
- Methuselah Foundation Announces $1 Million "New Organ Liver Prize" at World Stem Cell Summit
Dec 05, 2013
- Mary Ann Liebert to receive award for stem cell education at World Stem Cell Summit
Dec 03, 2013
- WSCS13 Featured Speaker Dr. Gary Smith leads stem cell research in Michigan
Nov 25, 2013
- Denny Sanford Donates $100 million to UC San Diego for Stem Cell Research
Nov 04, 2013
- New Organ Prize Official Launch is December 4th at the World Stem Cell Summit
Oct 26, 2013
- World Stem Cell Summit
Manchester Grand Hyatt
San Diego, California
- Regenerative Medicine State of the Industry Briefing
Parc 55 Wyndham
San Francisco, California
- Regen Med Investor Day
New York, New York